Sunday, April 10, 2011

Lemon (Orange) Poppy Seed (Chocolate Chip) Mini Muffins




I have been meaning to use my long-overdue poppy seeds in my baking. But I'm not sure on why I kept postponing to use them. So yesterday I had planned to bake the Lemon Poppy Seeds Muffins by making it in minis. To my horror ( the exaggerate me ), I saw that the poppy seeds was gone ! Long story short, my brother threw them away. And the lemons had gone bad because I had bought it last week and never use them. My bad. ;(




So I had to improvise with what I have. For the lemon part I changed to orange, and poppy seed I changed to chocolate rice. I baked two batches of these mini muffins. For the second batch, I used chocolate chips instead of chocolate rice. It's common sense that orange goes very well with chocolate, so these minis is absolutely recommended ! Again, Dorie did not fail me.




Orange Chocolate Rice/Chip Mini Muffins
Adapted from Dorie Greenspan's Baking: From My Home to Yours


Ingredients :
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • Grated zest and juice of 1 orange ( For the second batch I used 2 large Sunkist oranges )
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tspn baking powder
  • 1/4 tspn baking soda
  • 1/4 tspn salt
  • 3/4 cup sour cream ( 175 gram )
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tspn vanilla
  • 8 tbspn butter ( 113 gram ), melted and cooled
  • 2 tbspn chocolate rice or 1/3 cup or more chocolate chips




Method :
  1. Pre-heat oven to 190 degrees C. Butter or line muffin pan.
  2. Rub sugar and zest together with fingertips until moist and frangrance is strong.
  3. Whisk in flourm baking powder, baking soda and salt.
  4. In other bowl, whisk together sour cream, eggs, vanilla, juice and melted butter until well combined.
  5. Pour liquid ingredients over dry ingredients and combine together with spatula gently but quickly. Stir in chocolate rice/chips.
  6. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. I used 1 tbspn for each muffin cup.
  7. Bake for 12-15 mins or until tops are golden and thin knife inserted comes out clean.
  8. Transfer pan to wire rack and cool for 5 mins. Cool completely before serve ( if you can wait that long ;p )

No comments: