I've been meaning to find a good cupcake recipe for me to practice my frosting skill. And I wanna find a go-to chocolate orange cupcake recipe. This recipe is actually for chocolate cupcake but I altered it and add orange zest and orange juice.
Don't you just love the combination ? I do, a lot and a lot and a lot ! But in this recipe the orange flavour is very subtle in the cake. That's why I accompany the cake with an orange buttercream frosting. The result ? YUMMY times 10 millions !
Next time I'm doing this I'm gonna use 2 oranges to get the full flavour of orange.
Chocolate Orange and Chocolate Chip Cupcake
Adapted from Culinary Concoctions by Peabody
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup hot brewed coffee ( I used 2x1/4 cup )
- 1 1/3 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 3/4 tspn baking soda
- 1/4 tspn salt
- 8 tbspn ( 113 gram ) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2-3 tbspn orange juice
- 1 tspn orange zest
- 1 tspn vanilla
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C. Line muffin tin with paper liners.
- Place cocoa powder in small bowl. Whisk in hot coffee until smooth and let cool until mixture is lukewarm, about 5 minutes.
- In separate bowl, mix flour, baking soda, salt with a fork.
- In medium bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time. After second egg, scrape down the sides and bottom and beat again. Beat in vanilla and coffee mixture.
- Beat in orange zest and orange juice.
- Stir in flour mixture. Try to mix as little as possible because if you do the cupcakes will turn out tougher as usual. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Divide batter evenly by using 2 tablespoons, filling each cup about 3 quarters full. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Transfer muffin tin on wire rack and cool for 20 minutes. Cool completely out of the muffin tin.
Orange Buttercream Frosting
Adapted from Bake Space
- 137 gram unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 3 tbspn orange juice
- 1 tspn orange zest
- Beat butter and orange zest together until creamy.
- Gradually add icing sugar, beating until well blended.
- Stir in 2 tablespoon orange juice, adding additional orange juice if necessary, to reach desired consistency.