Monday, April 25, 2011

Churros and Dipping Chocolate




I have been wanting to eat these babies since last week. The first time I had them was last year (I think) at One Utama. My friends and I were having dinner there and after some time she asked whether we wanted to get churros. Since we just had dinner, everyone decided to pass on that. But the name lingered in my mind. So the next time I went to One Utama with my mom and sisters, we get ourselves some churros coated with cinnamon sugar, and not forgetting some chocolate dip.


For some reasons, that moment crept in my mind the day before yesterday. I quickly search for a good recipe to begin with. I was so happy to find out that the ingredients were the ones I had in the pantry. The staples ingredients ! But alas, it was raining heavily outside so I postponed it.




Today, it rained again. But after the rain has stopped I decided to get on with it ! Momma needs some churros ya'll. I tried making the dipping chocolate but it doesn't look it supposed to turn out that way. So I had to chuck the chocolate. What a waste of chocolate ! But maybe others will have more luck than I did. n the end I just dip in Nutella.


Churros with Dipping Chocolate
Adapted from Kitchen Butterfly


Ingredients :
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 tbspn caster sugar ( I used brown sugar )
  • 1/2 tspn salt
  • 1/3 cup ( 75 gram ) unsalted butter
  • 2 cups flour ( I used 1 cup only )
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 tspn vanilla
  • 1/4 cup sugar - for coating
  • 1 tspn ground cinnamon - for coating


Methods :
  1. Combine butter, salt, water and sugar in a saucepan. Melt butter without stirring and bring to boil.
  2. Remove pan from heat and add flour; stir to combine.
  3. Lightly beat eggs and vanilla in small bowl before adding to the flour mixture. Incorporate eggs with the flour mixture by circulat motion.
  4. Let batter to cool down for 10 minutes then put the batter in a churrera. I used piping bag with a star nozzle.
  5. Pipe on a plate or tray.
  6. Deep fry the piped batter until golden brown for 3-4 minutes for each side.
  7. Remove churros from pan and place on paper towel to dry.
  8. Roll them in sugar and cinnamon mixture.


Dipping Chocolate


Ingredients :
  • 100 gram chocolate
  • 4-5 tbspn milk
  • 1 tspn cornstarch
  • 4 tbspn water

Methods :
  1. Melt chocolate with milk; stir often.
  2. Add cornstarch and water to thicken; stir.

No comments: