Monday, April 25, 2011

Apam Polka Dottie




Last week my aunty posted a picture of apam polka dot and requested me to make them. And the day after that my sister's friend posted on my FB wall and ask me to make them as well coz she just made them and her dots weren't as nice as it should be.


So yesterday my mom drove me to Bake With Yen, the one in Puchong, to buy some of the ingredients needed to make the apams. And today, tadaaaaaa, here's my version of the apam polka dot. (I dunno why after I wrote apam my mind said balik. Funny how your mind works ;p)




This has been the most fun during the prep time. I love how beautiful they look, before and after. They're just sooooo cute ! Especially with the cutesy colours. I purposely made them in cute, girly girl colours as I believe these kind of apam looks good in them. But striking colours works as well. They just have to be in bigger size, me thinks.



I just looooooooveee the love shape !


When I was making it, the part where I have to add the colouring, I hated it. The colours coloured (LOL) my hands. And they're still there when I tried to wash them off. But as soon as I saw all the pretty colours when they're well combined, all my hatred has gone and I began to have fun. I'm crazy like that.


My sister helped me with some of it. She's into this sort of cutesy things. Girls ! Huh.


Although the surface of my apams weren't as smooth as it should be, the taste was everything that I have expected. Soft and sweet. Just like an apam should be. Only next time I'm going to add some lemon paste to make it a little lemon-y. The eggs smell can still be detected by my sensitive nose, eventho I've added the vanilla.


Apam Polka Dot
Adapted from Bisous A Toi


Ingredients :
  • 3 eggs, from the fridge
  • 275 gram flour
  • 220 gram castor sugar
  • 3 tspn baking powder
  • 1 tspn ovallete
  • 1 tspn vanilla
  • 150 mL fresh milk
  • Filling ( - doesn't feel like having some in the apam so I omitted )
  • Colouring


Methods :
  1. Put paper liners in the mould. I used the ones called 'acuan lompang'. 
  2. Beat eggs, sugar and ovallete until white and fluffy.
  3. Sift flour together with baking powder and add to the egg mixture. 
  4. Add fresh milk and vanilla to the mixture and beat until thoroughy mixed.
  5. Divide the batter according to the colours you're using. I used 3 colours (yellow, pink, blue). The original batter was white/cream in colour that I used to make the dots.
  6. Put the batter in piping bags and pipe it in the liners until about 3/4. Use other colour to make the dots or other shape you wish.
  7. Steam for about 15 minutes using medium heat.

No comments: