Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ganache


Last month my cousin mentioned in Facebook about my aunt gave her this super delicious chocolate cake recipe. So the inquisitive me quickly commented on that asking for the recipe, which had been emailed to me the very next day.




But reading through the recipe one particular step really stood out. It says to sift the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder 7 times. SEVEN TIMES ! That put me off for a while. But this evening I thought of trying the recipe, just to know whether it's worth the extra labour work. *sigh*


So I did all the preparations and start making the batter. While sifting the dry ingredients my hands got really sore from the work. I ended up sifting them only 5 times. Hahaha.




The cake.....TOTALLY WORTH IT ! It has this dense and moist texture. The chocolate flavour is very rich. Strictly for chocolate lovers only. I am glad that I tried the recipe. So next time this would be my go-to recipe for chocolate cake besides the Hershey's.




And to top it all, I used the chocolate ganache to cover all the imperfection. Not that the cake have any. ;D


Mak Andak's Chocolate Cake
Adapted from my cousin, Sherene.


Ingredients :
  • 8 oz unsalted butter ( 226 gram )
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar
  • 5 eggs
  • 1 1/4 cup flour ( I used self-raising flour )
  • 1 1/2 tspn baking powder ( I omitted because using self-raising flour )
  • 1 1/3 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup fresh milk

Methods :
  1. Pre-heat oven to 170 degrees C. Butter and line 9' cake pan. 
  2. Beat butter and sugar together.
  3. Sift flour, baking powder (if using) and cocoa powder at least 7 times.
  4. In another bowl, beat eggs till fluffy and add to butter and sugar mix. Continue beating.
  5. Add dry ingredients to the batter alternating with fresh milk ( F-M-F-M-F ).
  6. Pour mixture into the cake pan and bake for about 1 hour.
  7. Let cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes and transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

Chocolate Ganache


Ingredients :
  • 250 mL whipping cream
  • 250 gram chocolate chips

Methods :
  1. Bring whipping cream to boil in a saucepan.
  2. Once boiled, remove saucepan from heat and pour the cream to the chocolate chips.
  3. Whisk until well combined and set aside to cool down.
  4. You can refrigerate to get the desired consistency.

No comments: