Monday, April 18, 2011

Red Velvet Cake




When I made this cake I knew that people would ask what is the flavour of this cake. Honestly, I did not know. All I know was the colour of this cake is enough to make me wanna eat 'em. So when people ask me, I just tell them that what it was made of. The key ingredients of a nice red velvet cake. Buttermilk, cocoa powder and white vinegar.


But I cheat.  I used substitute of buttermilk and the normal vinegar. I'm not sure whether the vinegar alters the flavour or whatnot, but to me it sorta taste okay. Note, I have never taste a red velvet before.


I made the original red version for the picnic party we had last March. Alhamdulillah, everyone said it was delicious and I brought back an empty plate.


Sorry no picture. I forgot to take in the midst of having fun with my friends and a whole lotta delicious food !


Yesterday I made the cake again, but with green food colouring. That's the only colour I have in the pantry. So Green Velvet cake it was ! And the testimonials I get was the same as the red one. But I think I have to tone down the colour a bit as some people were intmidated by it. 


And lucky enough, I managed to capture a photo of the sliced cake. All is well.


Red (Green) Velvet Cake
Adapted from Pinch My Salt and Bisous A Toi


Ingredients :
  • 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 tspn baking powder
  • 1 tspn salt
  • 2 tbspn cocoa powder
  • 2 oz. food colouring
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 2 x 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs, room temperature
  • 1 tspn vanilla
  • 1 cup buttermilk ( I used 1 cup milk added to 1/2 tspn white vinegar ), room temperature
  • 1 tspn white vinegar
  • 1 tspn baking soda


Methods :
  1. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C. Butter and flour 2 x 9" round pans. I buttered and use cocoa powder instead of flour. Also, I have used only one pan.
  2. Sift together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and salt) in medium bowl; set aside. In small bowl, mix together food colouring and cocoa powder to make a paste; set aside.
  3. Beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy for about 3 mins. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then beat in vanilla and red paste. Scrape down the bowl if needed.
  4. Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, beat well, then add in half of the buttermilk, beat well. Add another 1/3 of the dry ingredients, beat well and add the remaining buttermilk. End with the last third of dry ingredients, beat well until combined and scrape down the bowl if needed.
  5. In small bowl, mix baking soda with white vinegar. The mixture will fizz. Quickly add the mixture to the batter and stir to combine.
  6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan(s) and bake for 25-30 mins or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
  7. Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 mins before starting to frost.

I used my trusted recipe of cream cheese frosting. But this time I halved the recipe just to fill the cake and frost the top layer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow..hope i got it rite wit that recipe..-shamini

AZ said...

Happy trying !