Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Devil's Food White-Out Cake




Yes, again a recipe from Dorie's book. I've told you before that I couldn't stay away from her book. It is sooooo annoyingly addictive ! And every recipe turned out as what I have expected. Can you blame me for not wanting more ?


I baked the cake for kak N, a cousin of mine. This particular book was not on sale in Malaysian shore so I had to ask my cousin's sister (also my cousin, duh), kak H in Manchester for a favor, to buy me this book. Kak N and kak H eldest sister, kak L, was going for a holiday in Manchester so she said she could pass the book to me.


Now you must be wondering why I baked this cake for kak N instead of kak H or kak L. The person who actually handed the book to me was kak N. When she gave me the book, she told me the next time I'm coming to her house I must bring along the cake that was on the front cover. So, here we are. =)


I am so thankful that the cake was not hard to make. Although I ended up having to do a lot of dishes, but in the end it was worth it when everyone said the cake was very good. 


I forgot to bring my camera so had to make do with my trusted Wildfire camera with Retro app. ;)





I'll post the recipe later.

As promised, here is the recipe:


Devil's Food White-Out Cake
Adapted from Dorie Greenspan's Baking: From My Home to Yours

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder ( I used Hershey's )
  • 3/4 tspn baking soda
  • 1/2 tspn baking powder
  • 1/4 tspn salt
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 10 tbspn (141 gram) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 3 large eggs, room temperature
  • 1 tspn vanilla
  • 1/2 cup whole milk ( I used Dutch Lady fresh milk )
  • 1/2 cup boiling water
  • 2 ounces (56 gram) bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
  • 2/3 cup choc chip, chopped

Method:
  1. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C. Butter and flour two 8x2" round pan. Put pan on baking sheet.
  2. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
  3. Beat butter on medium until soft and creamy. Add sugars and continue beating for 3 minutes.
  4. Add eggs, one at a time, beating for 1 minute each addition.
  5. Beat in vanilla. Add melted chocolate.
  6. Add dry ingredients, alternating with milk. Flour-milk-flour-milk-flour. Mix until ingredients dissapear.
  7. Mix in boiling water.
  8. With rubber spatula, stir in chopped choc chips.
  9. Divide batter into 2 pans and bake for 25-30 minutes.

The original cake in Dorie's recipe did not use cream cheese frosting. But because I looooooveee cream cheese so much I decided to use it instead of the frosting Dorie used. It did not dissapoint me and my cousins.


Cream Cheese frosting
Adapted from Allrecipes

Ingredient:
  • 448 gram cream cheese, softened
  • 115 gram butter, softened
  • 250 gram icing sugar ( I used 200 gram )
  • 1 tspn vanilla

Method:
  1. Cream together cream cheese and butter until creamy.
  2. Mix in vanilla and then, gradually stir in icing sugar.

No comments: