I baked these toothsome cupcakes just before Ramadhan came. Just to indulge my colleagues with some sugary dessert. =)
I already had a go-to red velvet cake recipe. This recipe was stumbled upon and I got attracted to it because the recipe uses oil instead of butter. And the amount of cocoa powder used was a lot compared to my go-to recipe. I actually prefer a recipe that doesn't use butter, mainly because I don't like to measure the butter and wait for it to softened. Yea, I'm lazy (and cool) like that.
This recipe produced more chocolat-y red velvet taste. And it's very moist, which I loveeeeee! And the cream cheese doesn't use a lot of icing sugar so it's not sickeningly sweet but just nice. You still have the tangy taste of the cream cheese and the sugary sweet of icing sugar. In one word, PERFECT.
I forgot to take pictures of the babies. This is the only one that I have.
Red Velvet Cupcakes
Adapted from My Baking Addiction
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tspn salt
- 2/3 cup sunflower oil
- 3/4 granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tspn vanilla extract
- 2 tbspn red food colouring
- 1/2 cup buttermilk - I used combination of vinegar and fresh milk. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes.
- 1/2 tspn baking soda
- 3/4 tspn vinegar
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C. Line the muffin tin with paper liners.
- Sift together cake flour, cocoa powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat oil with sugar until well combined. Add the egg and mix until well blended.
- With your mixer on lowest speed, add vanilla and red food colouring.
- Add the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk in 2 batches, starting and ending with flour. (Flour, milk, flour, milk, flour)
- In a small bowl, add baking soda to the vinegar and mix. Add into the batter immediately with the mixer running. Beat for 10 seconds.
- Divide batter into the muffin tin (approx. 3 tablespoons each well), filling about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20-24 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 5 tbspn unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 2 tspn vanilla extract
- In a mixer bowl, cream together cream cheese and butter until well combined.
- With the mixer turn on low, slowly add the icing sugar gradually and mix until smooth.
- Add the vanilla and mix until smooth and fully incorporated.