Monday, June 6, 2011

Orange Cake with Orange Icing



I have always loved the citrus flavour ever since I can remember. When dining outside I will order fresh orange juice or iced lemon tea. Those two are the only drinks that I'd order. And I love the colour orange when I was in secondary school. That didn't fade when I reached 25, but I had grown up to love other colours MORE than orange. But orange is still in my list of fav colours.




So I baked the orange cake when I chanced upon a website (whose owner has baked the orange cake). To be honest, I didn't like the taste at first because it kinda has this subtle orange flavour to it and the butter overpowered orange. I had my mom, aunts and cousins to taste it and they said that it was great. Despite my reluctance of letting them to taste the cake.




I hold to the principle 'If you don't like it, don't serve it'. I forgot where I saw/read it. This cake proved that princple can't be applied all the time. So from now on, I'm not gonna beat myself too hard. ;)


Orange Cake with Orange Icing
Adapted from Technicolor Kitchen


Ingredients :
  • 127 gram unsalted butter, softened
  • 162 gram caster sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 225 gram plain four, sifted
  • 1 tbspn milk
  • finely grated zest of 1 large orange
  • 4 tbspns orange juice


Method :
  1. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C. Butter loaf pan, line with parchment and butter the parchment.
  2. Beat butter and sugar in a bowl for about 8 minutes or until light and creamy.
  3. Add eggs, one at a time; beat well for each addition. Add flour and baking powder, mix well.
  4. Add milk, juice and zest; mix until smooth.
  5. Spoon mixture into prepared pan and bake for 55 minutes or until golden.
  6. Cool completely before unmold.


Orange Icing


 Ingredients :
  • 175 gram icing sugar, sifted ( I used only 150 gram )
  • 2 tbspn orange juice

Method :
Combine sugar and juice in a bowl and mix to form a paste.

No comments: