Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Katharine Hepburn's Brownies


What has been going on in my life right now ? I have only 3 words to answer that.


Final. Year. Project.


It has been stressing me out since last month. And I've got like less than 2 months to complete the project. Lab work AND thesis writing. To add to the pressure, I have a subject to study for exam. And this subject is not the usual read-the-textbook-and-understand kind of subject. It is entirely based on my knowledge and hands-on experience on lab works. Stress is soooo my best friend right now !


Enough chit chat about my super boring, pathetic life. Let's move on to the greatest thing in the world ! Okay maybe not THE greatest thing, but it certainly qualifies as one of the best.




Meet Katharine Hepburn's brownies, everyone. The most perfect chocolate brownies ever !




This would be the dessert I would ask for before I die. Seriously. Everything about it is perfect.


Without further ado, here are the ingredents :
  • 8 tbspn butter ( I used 113 gram )
  • 4 squares unsweetened chocolate ( I used Lindt 70% cocoa )
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 tspn vanilla

Method :

  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. I heated to 160 degrees C. 
  2. Melt butter and chocolate in a saucepan and take the saucepan off the heat.
  3. Stir in sugar, eggs and vanilla. Beat the mixture well.
  4. Stir in flour and salt.
  5. Pour the mixture into prepared 8 inch. square pan and bake for 40 minutes.

I have made a few adjustments to the recipe. Instead of using baking pan I used a baking dish ( Pyrex ) and bake the brownies for 50 minutes. The last 10 minutes I covered the dish with aluminium foil to prevent the top crust from burning. And I sprinkled chocolate chips on top of the brownies.





They mounted up at the center in the oven. But when it's cooled the mounted part will sunk down, as you can see from the photo below.




The recipe produced a thin brownies, but for me it was the perfect thickness because it was very rich in flavour. For those who are not a big fan of sweet will find this a bit too sweet for them. But I'm a BIG BIG fan of anything sweet, so no problem there. 




Just what  need right now. Oh Katharine Hepburn's brownies, thy shall love thee till the end of this world !



No comments: