Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Sicillian Orange Cake


I have been bookmarked the recipe on sis Rima's blog ever since I started reading her blog. The name and the presentation of the cake intrigued me to produce such a beauty myself. 


At last, the opportunity came for me to bake it. Though I used only my hand on mixing the ingredients and forgot to slowly pour the orange juice ( I just threw all of the juice in one go ). I'm not sure if that that made my cake crumbly.




As you can see from the photo above, the bottom part of the cake was very delicate. When I removed from the pan, I had crumbs all over my hands. I had to put a plate under the cooling rack to catch all the crumbs falling. 




Being the not-so-patient being that I am, I tasted the remaining leftover that stuck on the pan ( I didn't use paper to line it ) and it was heaven ! It just melts in my mouth and the orange flavour was not too strong, just the way I like it.




I used the 8 inches round pan, so the batter made 2 cakes. I should have used the bundt pan that I bought last month. Oh well, guess I have a reason to bake the cake again. YEAY !



So here are the ingredients :
  • 250 gram lightly salted butter
  • 250 gram castor sugar
  • 4 medium eggs
  • 1 1/2 tspn finely grated orange zest (  I used 3 large Sunkist oranges )
  • 250 gram self-rising flour
  • 85 ml freshly squeezed orange juice from the grated oranges

Icing sugar to coat
  • 125 gram icing sugar
  • 5 tspn orange juice


Method :
  1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees C. Grease and line 22 cm round cake pan.
  2. Cream butter and sugar together for 4 - 5 minutes until very pale. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating very well between each one, if necessary add a spoonful of flour with the last egg to prevent mixture from curdling. Beat in orange zest.
  3. Add flour all at once and mix in well, then slowly mix in the orange juice.
  4. Spoon mixture into pan and bake for 45 - 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle come out clean.
  5. For icing : Sift icing sugar into bowl and stir orange juice until you have spreadable consistency.

No comments: